The much-loved Blue Mountains (NSW) writers’ centre Varuna will have an Open House day on Saturday September 13, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Visitors can take a tour of the house and garden, and enjoy live entertainment for kids and adults, readings and author talks, plus book, plant and cake stalls. It’s a rare opportunity to see the original home of authors Eleanor and Eric Dark, later gifted to the nation’s writers by the Dark family. Some of the featured Open House events this year include:
• a series of heritage kitchen conversations with Anne Elliott from Slow Food Blue Mountains, who will be cooking recipes from Eleanor Dark’s own cookbook!
• Eleanor Dark’s biographer Barbara Brooks, talking with local author Sylvia Martin in Eleanor’s own writing studio – answering questions about Eleanor’s life, and reading from her work and letters.
• wonderful Children’s writers to entertain younger visitors – stay tuned for news of the featured authors.
• Varuna Alumni author Jessie Cole talking about her acclaimed new novel Deeper Water – in conversation with Peter Bishop; and
• the opportunity to chat with local writers, Varuna Alumni, consultants and Board members about their work at Varuna, and the ongoing legacy of the Eleanor Dark Foundation.
For more information visit varuna.com.au.